WOW

Followers

HBeat

Thursday, November 4, 2010

More than 41,000 evacuated in Kedah, Perlis

Latest news :- ALOR SETAR: More than 28,000 people from 7,304 families in five districts in Kedah have been evacuated to temporary shelters due to the worsening flood since three days ago.
Four districts, namely Kubang Pasu, Kota Setar, Pokok Sena and Pendang have registered increased number of evacuees while the number in Padang Terap has dropped.

Of the total figure, 15,637 people are from 4,347 families in the Kubang Pasu district, 3,219 from 840 families in Padang Terap, 8,164 from 1,788 families in Kota Setar, 1,295 from 290 families in Pokok Sena, and 158 from 39 families in Pendang.

A spokesman from the National Security Council's operations room said up to 9am today, 104 flood evacuation centres had been opened up in the five districts -- 46 in Kubang Pasu, 35 in Padang Terap, seven in Pokok Sena, 15 in Kota Setar and one in Pendang. 
He said the flood situation in Padang Terap had improved a little, with 774 people from 274 families allowed to return home.

In the Kota Setar, however, the situation has worsened with more victims being evacuated.

A check by Bernama in Kota Setar found the flood water level rising although the rain had stopped, because of water flowing from the Padang Terap area.

Several main roads in Alor Setar have been inundated, causing the passable roads to be congested.

Worsening the situation is the shortage of water supply faced by many homes as some areas are having low water pressure while supplies have been cut off in some other areas.

In Perlis, the number of flood evacuees has risen to 13,723 from the 11,000 housed at over 40 evacuation centres yesterday.

A state flood operations room spokesman said most of the evacuees were from the Kangar area, while the flood waters in the northern part of the state had started to recede.

Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil visited flood victims in the state today.

She was earlier briefed by Perlis Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Md Isa Sabu and State Secretary Datuk Azizan Hamid on the flood situation in the state.

The weather is clear today but the flood waters in several areas continue to rise.

In RANTAU PANJANG, Kelantan, the number of flood evacuees at three relief centres this morning remained at 475 from 121 families.

A state flood operations room spokesman said they were housed at the old railway station, Sekolah Kebangsaan Gual Tinggi and Sekolah Kebangsaan Tok Deh.

They are from Kampung Kedai Lama, Kedap, Kampung Dangar, Kampung Banggol Kulim, Bandang Guchil and the vicinity of SK Tok Deh.

The spokeman said the number of evacuees was expected to drop eventually as the water level in Sungai Golok continued to recede. The water level was at 9.89 metres, which was above the danger level of 9 metres, as at 8am today.

"The weather is fine without rain for two days now and we expect the evacuees to be able to return home in stages," he said.

No main roads are closed to traffic except for an alternative road connecting Rantau Panjang with Jeli at Kampung Lalang Pepuyu which has been closed to light vehicles.

The improved flood situation will also allow the Rantau Panjang duty-free zone to resume operations after most of the premises closed for three days due to the overflowing river.

There have been no reports of fatalities so far due to the flood, and the weather in Kelantan was fine this morning. -- BERNAMA (nstonline)

No comments:

Post a Comment

click if you like it

Free Personal signatures - cool!

TEXTAREA_ID
Related Posts with Thumbnails