Wednesday, February 16, 2011

NS trainee dies after complications from fever

KOTA KINABALU: An 18-year-old National Service trainee has died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital intensive care unit after developing complications from a fever.
Mohd Zulhaili Noraihan, who had lapsed into a coma following the fever, had his life support removed at 11am on Tuesday with his parents by his side.
He was initially treated at the Papar district hospital last week but was transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Sunday when his condition worsened.
It is learnt that Zulhaili, from Kuala Lumpur, had developed a fever on Sunday after swimming with friends at a pond at the National Service Ovai Camp in Kinarut a few days earlier.
Several of his friends had also developed a fever after the swim but responded to treatment.
Zulhaili, however, failed to respond to treatment and his condition worsened before he was declared brain dead by doctors.
National Service Council Sabah representative Datuk Henrynus Amin when contacted on Wednesday said that a full report was being prepared by relevant authorities on the cause of death of the boy.
“I regret that this has happened and it is best to allow the relevant authorities to investigate the matter,” he said.
“It is too premature to blame any quarter as we do not know the full facts.”
He said all steps were taken to assist the family members and Zulhaili’s body was flown back to Kuala Lumpur on a commercial flight late Tuesday.
He stressed that the welfare of the trainees in aspects of safety and health were taken seriously and trainees with any health condition were sent immediately to hospital if medical assistants at the camp decided that it was necessary.
According to sources, Zulhaili could have contracted meningitis and might have been allergic to certain painkillers that could have complicated his treatment. - theStarOnline

No comments:

Post a Comment

click if you like it

Free Personal signatures - cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails