KANGAR: Floods hit three areas in Perlis following continuous rain since Monday night, forcing 1,294 people to be evacuated from their homes to 20 relief centres.
The worst hit was Kangar, where 870 victims were moved out to 10 relief centres.
In Padang Besar, 380 flood victims were evacuated to eight areas and in Arau, 44 people were evacuated.
A state flood operations centre spokesman said four roads Jalan Santan, Jalan Kangar-Padang Besar at Kampung Paya, a road in Taman Sena and another stretch in front of SMK Datuk Jaafar Hassan in Bukit Keteri were closed to traffic.
“The water level is mostly between 0.3m and 1m deep,” the spokesman said, adding that the water levels at the three major rivers were still below the danger level.
He added that water from the Timah Tasoh Dam was released to prevent overflow.
In Baling, 1,000 people who were moved to eight relief centres since Tuesday night have returned home after the rain stopped at 2pm yesterday.
Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak said the state had yet to open its flood operations centre.
“So far, the situation in Kedah is good except for a storm that damaged more than 200 houses,” he said.
In Kuala Terengganu, the number of flood victims has gone down to just 45 as at 6pm yesterday.
They are being housed at the Kampung Tok Mat and Bukit Payung civic halls, both in the Marang district.
A state flood operations room spokesman said this was a vast improvement from the more than 1,000 evacuees from Marang and Dungun on Tuesday.
He added, however, that many areas were still facing flash floods. - theStarOnline