KLANG: An 11-year-old girl has died, believed to be due to food poisoning, 12 hours after breaking fast on Sunday.
The girl’s father Mohamad Ali Khir, 37, said his daugther Nurdini, 11, and the rest of his family had broken their fast with otak-otak and air batu campur (ABC) bought from a Ramadan bazaar near their house in Taman Seri Mewah, Fasa 2, Meru near here.
About 30 minutes later, Nurdini started vomitting. Not long afterwards, his wife Noraliti Ramli, 37, as well as his four other children – Mohammad Syafiq, 14, Mohammad Irfan, 13, Mohammad Fitri, eight, Mohammad Hazimi, three – and their maid fell ill too.
He said the family found Nurdini lying sprawled in the bathroom at 6.10am on Monday with her eyes swollen and foaming in the mouth.
He said he quickly rushed Nurdini to the hospital but his daughter was pronounced dead on arrival.
He added that the rest of the family were also rushed to the hospital.
He said Nurdini loved ABC and otak-otak and that it was only on Sunday that he was able to get the items from the Ramadan bazaar.
Mohamad Ali said Nurdini’s remains were laid to rest at the Meru Muslim cemetery after the midday prayers on Monday.
Klang North police chief Supt Mohamad Shukor Sulong confirmed receiving a report on the case.
Hospital authorities could not be reached for comment. — Bernama