LABIS: An Australian who went jungle trekking with four others has died, possibly due to a heart attack.
Chris Birchill, who was in his 40s, and the four had earlier been reported missing for about 20 hours at the Sungai Bantang forest reserve in Bekok.
Segamat OCPD Supt Abd Majid Mohd Ali said Birchill’s body had been sent to Segamat Hospital for a post mortem to determine the cause of death.
“The other trekkers from South Africa and United Kingdom were unhurt but they have also been sent to the hospital for treatment,” he said, adding that a search and rescue team found them in the thick forest at 10.50am yesterday.
He said 114 personnel from various agencies embarked on a search and rescue operation after receiving a distress call at 3pm on Wednesday.
“We also sent a helicopter and a K9 unit to help. Due to a heavy downpour at noon, it took more than two hours to lead them out of the forest. They finally emerged at around 2.30pm,” said Supt Abd Majid, who headed the search and rescue effort.
It was learnt that the five men, who had previously gone for similar trips in Indonesia and other Asian countries, embarked on the expedition into the forest at 8am on Wednesday.
The place is a popular tourist destination in the Labis forest reserve, which is about 8km from Bekok town. - theStarOnline