KOTA KINABALU: Police have confirmed that all passengers had been accounted for in Monday's collision between a train with 200 people and a fuel tanker at Kepayan here.
"We can confirm that there is no death," state police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said on Tuesday.
It was reported that 34 of the 200 passengers could not be traced after the explosion.
Sabah Railway officials said they were able to locate 173 of the 200 passengers while others are believed to have returned home without informing the authorities.
At noon Tuesday, cranes were still trying to remove the wreckage to enable rail services between Kota Kinabalu city and interior Tenom to resume.
Site investigations are expected to be wrapped up anytime now.
In the 5.30pm collision, 12 were injured and 34 of the 200 passengers could not be traced.
Most of the passengers had scrambled out of the driver's compartment to flee the inferno while the injured were rushed to hospital. Two of the injured still remained in hospital.
Meanwhile, a statement Shell Timur Sdn Bhd said the company has stopped operations at their Kepayan petrol station as an immediate safety precaution.
The company said they were cooperating with police and other authorities looking into the cause of the accident.
"Shell remains in constant contact with the authorities on the ground and is ready to render any assistance if required,'' the statement said.
The tanker, laden with 27,000 litres of petrol, was being driven across an "unmanned" and illegal railway crossing when it collided with the train.Related Stories:12 seriously hurt as train slams into fuel tanker