KOTA KINABALU: A five-year-old girl has died in a fire at a Beluran village where the nearest fire station is 95km away in Sandakan.
Eveyuna Elze John died when the fire broke out at her house at Kampung Batu Sapi on Monday night.
She was sleeping in a room while family members, including her parents and grandfather, were having dinner when the fire broke out.
They heard a small explosion and saw flames when they rushed to the room.
Eveyuna’s grandfather suffered burns on his legs when he tried to save the girl.
Sandakan fire and rescue chief Jemishin Ujin said the fire was believed to have been caused by a kerosene lamp which fell on the floor.
He said a distress call was received at 9.41pm.
The firemen had to abandon their fire-engine and used a four-wheel drive vehicle due to the slippery and narrow track into the village.
By the time they arrived at 11.25pm, villagers had put out the fire. - theStarOnline