JOHOR BARU: Minutes after getting embroiled in an argument, a couple found themselves trapped in their apartment which caught fire and they eventually suffocated to death.
The victims, Sabahan, Angielee Ambrose, 29 and her friend, Ang Lye Hock, 52, a Singaporean, were heard shouting at each other before the fire started at around 11.15am at a townhouse in Taman Iskandar here on Sunday.
Neighbours managed to pry open the door but the flames drove them back.
Minutes later there was a small explosion, said a neighbor, Bahruddin Saffri Ahsan, 46.
Fire and Rescue Department officials arrived at the scene about 10 minutes later.
Operation head Raja Saiful Iswardi Raja Hassan said that three fire engines and 18 officials were tasked to put out the flames.
“We managed to control the flames about one minute later but the fire was completely put out at around 11.50am,” he said when met at the scene.
He added that the body of Angielee was discovered at the hall area while the body of Ang was found in the bathroom.
“Initial findings reveal that both may have died from suffocation due to the thick smoke from the fire,” he said adding that authorities were still investigating the source of the incident. - theStarOnline