WOW

Followers

HBeat

Sunday, December 23, 2012

India moves to quell gang-rape protests, but crowds build again


NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The Indian government moved on Sunday to stamp out protests that have swelled in New Delhi since the gang-rape of a young woman, banning gatherings of more than five people, but still thousands poured into the heart of the capital to vent their anger.
Demonstrators shout slogans atop a bus in front of the India Gate during a protest in New Delhi December 23, 2012. The Indian government moved on Sunday to stamp out protests that have swelled in New Delhi since the gang-rape of a young woman, banning gatherings of more than five people, but still thousands poured into the heart of the capital to vent their anger. REUTERS/Ahmad Masood
Demonstrators shout slogans atop a bus in front of the India Gate during a protest in New Delhi December 23, 2012. The Indian government moved on Sunday to stamp out protests that have swelled in New Delhi since the gang-rape of a young woman, banning gatherings of more than five people, but still thousands poured into the heart of the capital to vent their anger. REUTERS/Ahmad Masood

Police in riot gear used tear gas and batons to hold crowds back from marching on the presidential palace, just as they did the day before in clashes that media reports said injured more than two dozen protesters.
Doctors said the 23-year-old victim of last week's attack, who was beaten, raped for almost an hour and thrown out of a moving bus in New Delhi, was still in a critical condition on respiratory support but responding to treatment.
New Delhi has the highest number of sex crimes among India's major cities, with a rape reported on average every 18 hours, according to police figures.
Most sexual assaults go unreported and unremarked, but the brutality of last week's attack triggered the biggest protests in the capital since mid-2011 demonstrations against corruption that rocked the government of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The protesters, predominantly college students but also housewives and even children, are demanding more steps from the authorities to ensure safety for women and some want the death penalty for the accused.
Several city metro stations were closed and several roads were barricaded on Sunday to prevent a build-up of protesters.
However, by early afternoon the crowd around the India Gate monument - normally a festive place on a Sunday - had swelled to more than 2,000, according to police there. Scuffles broke out near government buildings, where youths shouted "Down with Delhi police!" and threw bottles at the forces holding them back.
Bowing to public pressure, Sonia Gandhi, chief of the ruling Congress party, emerged from her residence after midnight to talk to protesters. She went out again on Sunday with her son, Rahul Gandhi, who is seen as a future prime minister.
"She assured us of justice," said one of the students who met the Gandhis, though some in the crowds shouted "Down with Sonia Gandhi!".
Since last week's rape, the authorities have promised better police patrolling to ensure safety for women returning from work and entertainment districts, the installation of GPS on public transport vehicles, more buses at night, and fast-track courts for swift verdicts on cases of rape and sexual assault.
(Writing and additional reporting by Mayank Bhardwaj; Editing by John Chalmers and Sanjeev Miglani)
Copyright © 2012 Reuters

Don: More youngsters suffering from diabetes

Google Image
KUALA LUMPUR: Some 300,000 young people in the country are suffering from Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM), according to Universiti Sains Malaysia endocrinologist Prof Datuk Dr Wan Mohamad Bebakar.
He said the number was expected to increase as the number of T2DM patients worldwide was expected to almost double from the current 230 million to 440 million by 2030.
He said this meant the risks were higher for more young people to suffer from diabetes complications.
“The fact is 20.8% of the Malaysians are suffering from T2DM right now, 5% of whom are young people aged between 20 and 25.
“The percentage is clearly bigger than in the United States which only recorded 2% of young people suffering from T2DM,” he said at the launch of Kombiglyze Xr, a new medication to treat T2DM.
Prof Wan Mohamad said the pill had been widely used to treat T2DM in the United States where the patient would be prescribed to take a pill daily.
“The Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes and can easily spread if not controlled. Within certain period of time, the patient will have to take various types of medicines to treat the disease and its complications,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sime Darby Healthcare endocrinology expert Prof Dr SP Chan said what made it worse was that more than half of T2DM patients usually failed to keep their blood sugar levels under control.
“Although they are provided with information on diabetes and continuous supply of medicine, less than half of them can really control their blood sugar levels,” he said in the joint statement.
In the long run, he said the patients usually had to deal with other complications, such as heart attacks, stroke and kidney failure. - Bernama

Family burnt to death in car accident


The wreckage of the burnt bus The wreckage of the burnt bus
KEMAMAN: A couple and their two daughters were burnt to death when the car they were in burst into flames after it collided with an express bus at Km26 Jalan Kuala Terengganu-Kuantan near the Institut Kemahiran Belia Negara (IKBN), Kemasik here Sunday.
The dead were Mohd Sabirin Sulaiman, 50, a teacher, his wife Halina Saif and their two daughters.
State police chief Datuk Jamshah Mustapa said the family was returning to their home in Dungun after attending a chess competition in which the girls participated.
He said Mohd Sabirin taught Japanese language at Sekolah Menengah Tengku Intan Zaharah (SMTIZ), Dungun and that the family lived in Jalan Tok Mudim, Batu 5, Dungun.
"It was raining lightly at the time and it is believed the road was slippery.
“However, a detailed investigation is being carried out," he said.
"I advise the public to be extra careful when driving in wet weather at this stretch of the road because it is potholed and in the last two weeks, three road fatalities have been recorded here because of this factor," he said.
Mohd Sabirin and the girls were burnt beyond recognition while their mother suffered burns up to her waist.
One of the passengers of the bus, Wan Mohd Al-hakim Wan Yusoff ,27, said he was just about to doze off after replying to an SMS moments before the accident.
"Then suddenly I noticed the bus was veering to the left before there was a thunderous sound followed by shouts for help from outside the bus.
"Within a few seconds there were flames all over in front of the bus. Fear gripped me and my immediate thoughts were on the safety of my son Wan Mohd Adam Al-Haqq who had been flung from his seat because of the impact and was lying on the aisle which was filled with thick smoke," he said.
He said the passengers then rushed to the emergency exit but it failed to open but luckily one of the passengers managed to break down the main door to get to safety.
He only suffered bruises in the incident while Mohd Faiz Sulihan, 23, broke a leg and has been admitted to the Kemaman Hospital. - Bernama

Floods hit Terengganu, 92 people evacuated in Dungun

Floods hit Terengganu


DUNGUN: A total of 92 people from 16 families in three villages here were evacuated since Saturday night when floods hit the district.
Seven of the families, involving 39 people, are from the Kampung Bukit Gendut Housing Project for the Hardcore Poor (PPRT), Pulai Serai, and they were evacuated to the relief centre at Sekolah Rendah Pulau Serai at 9pm.
Six families, comprising 33 people, are from Kampung Tanjung Pagar Lima, and the three remaining families (20 people) are from Kampung Seberang Pintasan. They were evacuated to the community hall in their respective villages.
Dungun Member of Parliament Datuk Matulidi Jusoh, when met after visiting the victims on Sunday, said floods hit the villages following heavy rain since 6am Saturday.
The water in Sungai Pimpin also overflowed its banks and caused flooding at the Bukit Gendut PPRT, he added. He advised residents in flood-prone areas to evacuate when asked to do so by the relevant authorities, and to also not allow their young children to play in the floods.
Meanwhile, one of the flood victims, Raihan Deraman, 48, of the Bukit Gendut PPRT, said water began entering her house at 7pm and this was the second time that her family had to evacuate due to the since they occupied the house three years ago.
She said the family had made preparations in anticipation of the flood, like placing their furniture on high ground, as well as ensure safe keeping of important documents.
In KOTA BARU, Kelantan, residents in low-lying areas, especially along the rivers, have been advised to be prepared in the event of a flood in the state.
Kelantan Fire and rescue Department director, Azmi Osman, issued the advice following continuous rain since last week and report of the river water rising.
"They should be prepared and to evacuate when the need arises without having to wait for instructions to do so," he said when met by reporters after the department's monthly assembly on Sunday. - Bernama

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Wedlock! Suki Low makes manager her husband



Singer Suki Low is officially off the market.
The original One In A Million winner got hitched to her manager, businessman and music executive Jeremy Chong, on 12th December 2012, one day after her 23rd birthday, in both Western and Chinese ceremonies in Penang.
Now, Suki has released her wedding photos, along with a statement saying, "My husband and I are very thankful that everything went as planned without any major glitches."
Her nuptials began in a private garden at the beach, where she exchanged wedding vows in a white gown, witnessed by family and very close friends.
Later, the happy couple cut into a two-tier wedding cake topped with a pair of smooching dolls and a pet pooch.
Then before luncheon, Suki changed into a fiery red Chinese matrimony dress for the traditional tea serving ceremony to her parents and her new in-laws.
That same evening, the couple and their guests boarded the Superstar Libra cruise ship where they were entertained by performances set the theme "Rock The '80s".
"We had an unforgettable night," she said in her statement. "We would like to thank everyone who blessed us with their presence on our wedding day." 
Suki also acknowledged her sponsors for contributing to her big day. "Most importantly, I would like to thank my fans who have always supported and prayed for my success," she added.
Published: 20th December 2012 - DailyChilli.com

Alyah branded 'greedy' by dumped fashion designers

Two designers have labelled singer Alyah a fashion nightmare.
Two designers have labelled singer Alyah a fashion nightmare.

The relationship between singer Alyah and fashion designers Hatta Dolmat and Rizman Ruzaine has torn apart at the seams, all over a rack of clothes that she commissioned for an awards ceremony but unceremoniously dumped before the show.
The quarrel began when the designers took to Twitter and ripped into Alyah for not wearing the gowns they made for her appearance at the regional Anugerah Planet Muzik show in Singapore last week.
According to reports, Alyah asked Hatta and Rizman, as well as designer Amir Luqman, to sew her some outfits for the event. But she went with one of her own dresses for the red carpet, and later performed on stage her hit Kisah Hati—which won the Best Song award—in one of Amir's pieces.
Annoyed by Hatta and Rizman's tweets, Alyah told reporters she had good excuses for refusing their gowns, blaming "problems with the zipper and other things" for her decision.
"I hadn't even explained my reasons of not wearing their clothes and they're already bombarding me on Twitter,” said Alyah, 31, to mStar Online.
"I feel insulted. I'm not one who runs away from a problem, but I don't want to make a big deal of this. Hatta and Rizman have helped me a lot with clothes before, so I don't want to make this worse."
However, she added, "If they say I'm greedy because I sought another fashion designer for one event, well, whoever has worked with me before knows that I change outfits three times for an awards show."
Rizman and Hatta don't want Alyah's business any more.
Rizman and Hatta don't want Alyah's business any more.
The Johor-born entertainer says no way is she apologising to the designers because she feels "insulted and disrespected" by their outrage. "My dignity has been stepped on," she fumed. "They disrespected me with words that aren't very nice. Why should I say sorry when they have insulted me?"
Rizman, who has dressed Siti Nurhaliza, Erra Fazira and Ziana Zain, says he could care less. He's fed up with Alyah and refuses now to work with her again. He also describes her as "unprofessional", claiming that this isn't the first time she's pulled something like this.
"Three things prove she's a non-professional," he shot back. "She never discussed what she wanted to wear. She just sent pictures as samples of what she wanted. Then when the clothes were done, she never tried them on. And after they were shipped to Singapore, they ended up not being used at all."
"I tried contacting her lots of times," he added, "but she never picked up and we could only carry out discussions through her personal assistant. The clothes aren't cheap. They costs thousands and we sponsored her to promote our label. This is enough! This is my last time working with her!"
Meanwhile, Hatta fired one more salvo at Alyah on Twitter, describing her as "one who doesn't appreciate the hard work fashion designers put into producing clothes for her", for not wearing the clothes, and then refusing to apologise.
Source: mStar Online
Published: 20th December 2012

Water disruption in Petaling and KL from Dec 27 to 29


KUALA LUMPUR: Several areas in Petaling and Kuala Lumpur will experience water disruption on Dec 27 to 29 due to work by contractors of Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas).
In a statement, Syabas said the disruption in Petaling would start at 3pm on Dec 27 until 1am the next day as valves at the Water Terminal Pond Inlet, Jalan Kuchai Lama were being replaced.
The areas affected will be Taman Goodwood, Kuchai Business Park, Taman Lian Hoe, Taman Continental, Taman Indrahana, Taman Pagar Ruyong, Taman GembiraJalan Batalong, Jalan Rukun, Jalan Riang, Jalan Selesa, Jalan Sukacita, Jalan Jiran, Jalan Ramli, Jalan 1/128 and Jalan 1/130.
Also affected will be Sekolah Menengah Sri Sentosa, Sekolah Rendah Sri Setia, KFC and Pizza Hut, Industrial Training Institute, Ajinomoto, Nirvana, Jalan Sungai Besi, Jalan Sungai Besi Petronas station, Kampung Pakar in Sungai Besi, Pusat Hiburan Golden Sun, Kuchai Entrepreneurs Park - Jalan 1/116B until Jalan 10/116B, Taman Kuchai Maju, Taman Sungai Besi and Taman Salak Jaya.
Taman Salak Selatan - Jalan Perkasa 120, Jalan Hang Tuah 16, Jalan Tuanku 14, Jalan Gempita, Jalan Cahaya, Jalan Bendahara, Jalan Laksamana, Sekolah Tunas Bakti, Jalan Sungai Besi temple, ISM Sungai Besi, Kampung Malaysia Tambahan - Jalan 1/141, Kampung Baru Salak Selatan - Jalan 35-37, Salak South Garden, Perumahan Desa Petaling, Kondominium Widuri Impian, Pangsapuri Desa Puteri and Jati Selatan will also experience water supply disruptions.
The water disruption in Kuala Lumpur on Dec 28 from 9pm until 5am the next day will be due to works to relocate pipes to widen Jalan Segambut from the KTM bridge to Jalan Mont Kiara.
The areas involved will be Taman Sri Bintang, Taman Bukit Sri Bintang, Taman Sri Sinar and Taman Prima Pelangi in Segambut, Segambut Dalam, Mont' Kiara - Sunrise (Phase 1 dan 2), Segambut Tengah, Segambut Bahagia, Taman SPPK Segambut, along Jalan Segambut, Taman Segambut, Taman Bukit Segambut, Taman Indah Murni, Jalan Kelapa Bulan, Jalan Kelapa Hijau, Jalan Kelapa, and Taman Prima Impian, also in Segambut.
Syabas advises the affected comsumers to store enough water, to use water judiciously and to exercise patience during the period of disruptions.
Consumers can contact the Customer Service Centre (PUSPEL) at toll-free line 1-800-88-5252 or SMS by typing PUSPEL and send to 39222.
Information on the areas involved can be obtained from the Syabas web page at www.syabas.com.my; www.twitter.com/puspel, and Facebook. - Bernama

Fazurina’s family had no idea of wedding


<b>Kept under wraps:</b> Fazurina got married without her family's consent.Kept under wraps: Fazurina got married without her family's consent.
FAZURINA has gotten married without her family's knowledge.
Harian Metro reported that the actress, whose full name is Siti Fazurina Famir, 30, tied the knot with a man whom she had been in a relationship with for the past two years in a ceremony at Masjid Jamek, Sungai Pinang, in Penang two days ago.
A source told the daily the wedding was not even known to Fazurina's mother.
Her uncle, the only family member at the ceremony, was told to keep the matter a secret but had informed other family members a day before the wedding.
They then tried to reach Fazurina but there was no response.
The actress of Dunia Anita and Trilogi Cinta 2 had been engaged before the relationship was severed in 2010. - theStarOnline

click if you like it

Free Personal signatures - cool!

TEXTAREA_ID
Related Posts with Thumbnails